April Movies!


The Spectacular Now (2013) Directed by James Ponsoldt:
I remember I wanted to watch this after seeing the preview in theatres and then... nothing. I never got around to it. Life happened. Until last Saturday, when I finally had nothing to do and decided to rent it. I haven't read the book as of yet, but I think I would enjoy it. The ending was perfection. I was worried that I wasn't going to like it because it deals with kind of unlikeable main character (at least via the movie). Sutter is the main character and fully believes in living just in the now, and not worrying about anything else. This sounds like an all well and good idea, except that all he does is drink and obsess over his ex-girlfriend. Coincidentally, he starts interacting with a girl named Aimee Finecky (the great Shailene Woodley) who starts to fall into his 'living in the now' trap. Throughout the movie I kept wanting Aimee to stand up to Sutter and tell him off for how he acted, cause he was kind of a jerk. I did like his character development- it felt almost too realistic (in the good, painful way life can be) and I was happy with the little outro monologue that he did. Overall I did enjoy it, but I probably won't be watching it again.

Noah (2014) Directed by Darren Aronofsky:
The boyfriend and I spontaneously went to see Noah a couple of Sunday nights ago, and man were we in for a treat. Noah was a cinematic experience if there ever was one. It was like crazy shot after crazy shot. I loved the time-lapses, and beautiful sunrise/sunset silhouettes. It was a really intense movie, and I think followed pretty close to the real story of Noah. Most of the things that weren't in the real story, I felt only added to the morale of the story instead of taking away from it which I think is rare in Hollywood. Emma Watson and Jennifer Connelly just nailed the acting (as well as everyone else, but i love them so) to the point where you felt like you were watching real life play out. It made me so happy to see E. Watson back on the big screen- I hadn't seen anything with her in it since HP in theatres. Anyway. I know a couple of people didn't like the movie, but I quite enjoyed it. Definitely a crazy story, and so so gripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment