Abbey REVIEWS.

Over the past week or so I have seen a lot of movies, and I thought I would do some quick lil reviews here if you're interested!



The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) Directed by Wes Anderson
This is not a new movie by any means, so it seems totally random that I am just now watching it. When the boyfriend was gone the other week I told myself I was going to watch all the Wes Anderson movies I could because why not. So, I did get around to The Royal Tenenbaums, but that was the only one I watched! Regardless, I really enjoyed it. Wes Anderson directs such visually impressive movies- even though I feel like it's a lot of the same if you've seen more than one- I STILL love it. I watched an interesting video the other day full of clips from Wes Anderson's movies showing his use of symmetry (check it out!). So The Royal Tenenbaums is a movie about a family of child prodigies who reunite when their father finds out he has a terminal illness. We got Gwyneth Paltrow, the Owen brothers, Ben Stiller, Bill Murray, Anjelica Huston, Gene Hackman, and many more familiar faces. I won't lie and say Gwyneth Paltrow being in it wasn't a leading force for me to watch it. I love her. So, if I had to rate this movie it would be 4/5 stars. Very quirky, entertaining, and some nice sentimentality thrown in. Probably won't be one that I watch over and over again, but I did enjoy it.

Divergent (2014) Directed by Neil Burger
I saw this on friday afternoon with one of my friends, and have to say I wasn't too excited about it. I've read and enjoyed the 2/3 books, but I just didn't care very much about the movie. But I would probably give this a 4/5 stars as well. If you haven't read the books or seen the movie- Divergent is about a girl named Beatrice who lives in a Dystopian society that is divided into 5 factions based on certain personality traits. Beatrice struggles in the beginning figuring out which faction she really belongs in and then there is a big TWIST and things get crazy! VERY close to the books- only some slight modifications which were necessary to the movie plot line. I highly enjoyed Theo James as Four because hello, have you seen him? And Shailene Woodley was great as expected- she made me cry with the scene in the alley (no spoilers, I promise). I did think the lines could have been better- there was one really cheesy line towards the end that I thought didn't need to be said and was kind of overboard... took me out of the intensity a bit. Other than that... pretty much enjoyed.

Veronica Mars (2014) Directed by Rob Thomas
I watched this Saturday night by myself via my parent's apple tv. I watched the VM TV show back in 2010 or 2011 or so via netflix and loveddddd it. So happy they were able to crowdsource and get enough money to make a movie! AND THE ENDING. I was expecting a bit more from the movie to be honest, but I wasn't necessarily let down. The movie was pretty much just another episode of the TV show only it was longer and set around 10 years later. Veronica is about to graduate from law school when Logan Echolls (my fav) is accused of murdering his girlfriend. So Veronica is called back to Neptune to help figure it out! A lot of the familiar characters from the TV show made appearances, and there were a lot of fun cameos. I totally forgot Schmidt from New Girl was in veronica mars! AH. Best thing ever. So if you liked the tv show, you will love the movie. And if you haven't seen the tv show- please go watch it!

12 Years a Slave (2013) Directed by Steve McQueen
I know you have all heard of this movie with all the Lupita Nyong'o buzz and oscar wins! I finally got around to watching it yesterday & the first thing I noticed within the first two minutes was the gorgeous cinematography and ahhh the colorgrading. As a photographer I can really appreciate some nice color editing. 12 Years a Slave is based on a true story about Solomon Northup- a free black man living in New York who gets abducted and forced back into slavery. The acting in this movie was phenomenal. There were these long drawn-out scenes of things happening (I don't want to spoil!) that just made you feel the helplessness and severity of that time period. To the point where me and my friend were saying oh my god let it end! But it totally added to the movie & I was really impressed. Definitely not a movie you just watch for kicks- it doesn't really sugarcoat anything obviously. Highly highly recommend. It's one of those movies that I probably won't stop thinking about for a while.

Rush (2013) Directed by Ron Howard
This movie definitely wins the most shocking award. I did not think I would like it as much as I did. The boyfriend was recommended this movie by a friend yesterday & brought it over to watch last night. So I said what the heck- two movies in one day lets do it! And we did. And I am so glad. This movie is based on a true story about two formula 1 drivers and their intense rivalries in the 1970s. You may see why I thought this wasn't the movie for me. However Chris Hemsworth (whom I love) was one of the leads, so it wasn't too hard to persuade me. Anyway the movie just follows these two drivers' relationships with each other and their racing. It was so intense and really good! I have been thinking about it all morning. So if you're looking for a unisex movie with intensity & a little romance & rivalries... this is a great choice. I don't know how it doesn't have more hype around it to be honest. The boyfriend also really liked it- I guess that also needs to be said.

What movies have y'all seen recently?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment